Please see the Subject Guide links below and information about the English Literature course.
Click below to learn about the course from English Literature student, Ursula.
The English Area realise that you may want to start preparing for A Level courses in English Literature starting in September. Here are some ideas and resources that will help you to do that:
- One of the ‘set texts’ for Y12 English Literature at SWCHS is Shakespeare’s ‘Twelfth Night’. The 2017 National Theatre production of the play is within the NT archive, to which we have access. Use the login details below:
Use the 'access login' on the left after clicking 'log in'.
- Watch the play and make some notes on what you thought the key themes / messages of the play were – then maybe do some reading online to see what you missed! You may want to read a plot summary first!
- Attached is a great publication from the English and Media Centre with ideas on making the leap between GCSE and A Level study. None of this is work that you have to do, but there are some great suggestions in there – and if you follow the instructions at the start about the ‘bingo’ card, you’ll have a nice range of activities. Some activities involve resources from Emagazine, to which we subscribe. In order to log in to Emagazine please use the login: SWCHS and the password English (with a capital E).
- Finally there is a reading list attached that gives lots of ideas about much wider reading – this is something that you should delve in and out of throughout your A Level course, but it might be worth having a look now if you’re stuck for ideas on what to read next. However, all of this is very much optional – don’t be overwhelmed by it!
- A letter with your ‘set texts’ to read for the start of Year 12 will be with you when we start our formal induction.