AS Core Mathematics: Quantitative Reasoning
Core Mathematics is an exciting Mathematics qualification. It is the Maths you need to move on to independent living, as you think about leaving home and getting a job. Core Mathematics makes you more mathematically aware, more employable and less susceptible to the mathematical pitfalls of life. This course is ideal if you enjoy Maths (but are not taking the A-Level), and will support your other A-Level studies. It is widely welcomed by many universities, with some altering entry requirements for those with a high grade in this qualification. You can choose Core Maths alongside three or four other subjects.
Minimum of GCSE 5 in Maths
Core Maths builds on and extends GCSE Mathematics, with a sharper focus on problem-solving skills. Topics covered include Mortgages, Student Loans, Buying a Car, Managing Finances, Insurance, Medical Risk, Estimation, Business Planning and Spreadsheets. The skills taught support mathematical knowledge that is required in other A-Level subjects, such as Economics, Psychology, Sociology, Geography, Business, PE, History and Music.
The course covers:
- Statistics and algebra
- Probability and estimation
- Data analysis and modelling
- Sequences and growth
- Financial planning and management
- Collaborative problem-solving approaches and techniques
- Using technology and spreadsheets
The course is assessed in two, 2-hour written examinations at the end of Year 13.
Exam Board: OCR Unit code: H866
Are you interested in:
- Personal finance, eg budgeting, tax returns, interest, credit and loans?
- Analysing and evaluating data?
- Financial calculations and business modelling?
- Probability and estimation calculations?
- Sequences and growth scenarios in the natural world, science and technology?
Leading to a career in:
- Cyber Intelligence
- Data Analysis and Statistics
This subject goes well with all subjects.