Thursday 30th November 2017- Deadline for application to Sixth Form
Monday 22nd January 2018 - Sixth Form guidance discussions begin. On arrival please go to reception. We would kindly ask if newcomers to SWCHS could bring along their latest report showing their most recent forecast grades.
Offers of Sixth Form places will go out before Easter 2018
Monday to Thursday 2nd/3rd/4th/5th July 2018 - Sixth Form Induction
It is essential that students attend Induction Week, which is a crucial introduction to the start of their Post-16 career. Please see current prospectus for details.
Please see below for application guidelines.
All applicants must submit a paper application form. The application form is available to download from a PDF (see above) or a hard copy is positioned at the back of the prospectus.
On this Application Form, please affix a passport-sized photograph in the space provided. This is important for identification purposes throughout your Sixth Form career. Please complete the application as extensively as possible - we are keen to hear about your achievements both within and outside school. Paper applications can be submitted from 1st October 2017 until 30th November 2017
It is important that this section is filled in properly. It is likely to be referred to in the student’s guidance discussion for a Sixth Form place. Applicants need to state clearly their reasons for wishing to join the Sixth Form at Saffron Walden County High School. One important and enjoyable part of life in the Sixth Form involves taking on new responsibilities, for example:
Form Prefect - helping with a Lower School form in various different ways.
Reading Support - helping the least and ablest readers in the Lower School to develop their reading skills.
Subject Support - helping to support a Lower School lesson.
Sports Teams - helping to organise and coach a Lower School sports team.
Extra-Curricular - helping to run a club or society for students in the Lower School.
Publicity - helping to promote the Sixth Form and marketing whole school events.
IT Support - providing support for students at lunchtime and after school.
Technical Support - providing sound and lighting at drama, music and other events.
Guides - being available to show visitors around the school.
Evening Functions - helping to organise and attend evening functions in the school.
Please state which of these (or any other) areas of responsibility would be of most interest to you when joining the Sixth Form.
State clearly your present extra-curricular interests, for example, sports teams, musical groups, jobs. Please be specific. For example, if a sport, state the team(s) you play for and any achievements you have made.
Entry into Year 12
1. No student will be admitted to the school post-16 unless academic requirements, as set out in this Prospectus, have been met and there are places available on chosen courses.
2. In the event of the number of such applicants from outside SWCHS exceeding our capacity, preference will be given to those best suited academically to their chosen courses, using forecast GCSE grades as the indicator. The offer is made subject to applicants achieving the grades required for their chosen courses.
3. Applications received after the deadline given in the Prospectus will only be considered if space becomes available on the chosen courses.
4. Where applications are initially unsuccessful, we encourage students to re-apply in the light of their actual examination results. If spaces become available on the chosen courses, we may be able to offer places to these students.
5. Where there are extenuating circumstances, the Head teacher’s judgement on whether a student's application is successful or not is final. In the case of students not offered a place, we would encourage them to send their results on Results Day. If places become available they will be contacted. In the case of students applying or reapplying for Year 12, having already done AS Levels, they will not be admitted unless:
1. There are exceptional personal circumstances.
2. They are restarting on new courses and there are places after current Year 12 admissions are complete.
Entry to Year 13
1. Students need to achieve a minium of a C Grade on their AS result (or their target grade) in order to automatically progress into Year 13.
2. Where students have failed to meet the C Grade requirement, they are expected to contact the Sixth Form management team to discuss their progression options. All subject decisions will be subject to recommendations made by the Head of Department .
3. Overall decisions over whether students can progress onto A-Level courses will be made by the Headteacher.
1. As required by law, the Governors have established an independent Committee to hear appeals against an refusal to admit.
2. Subject information contained in this Prospectus is correct at the time of printing.
3. SWCHS reserves the right to withdraw a subject(s) if take-up numbers make running the class non-viable.
4. In the case of subjects not fitting the timetable blocks, students will be asked to make a second choice.