“Saffron Walden County High School seeks to be a local school of exceptional quality”.
Our aims are to:
- Ensure all our students attain standards of achievement which reflect their full academic potential and represent their personal best.
- Provide our students with the learning skills, habits and attitudes necessary to tackle the challenges of the future whilst also supporting them in valuing and enjoying their learning.
- Deliver excellent teaching and facilitate personalised learning to maximise the opportunities for each student to succeed.
- Promote outstanding personal development opportunities for all students through a rich and varied programme of extra-curricular activities, including community engagement.
- Maintain a secure and caring community which encourages academic ambition alongside respect and responsibility for all.
- Give inspirational and motivational leadership which offers clear direction and shared objectives, and management which maximises potential through valuing, supporting and developing colleagues.
Ethos, Values and Expectations
The brochure shows how the school’s character and practice create the “exceptional quality” which is our purpose. To help make an informed choice of school, parents will wish to know something of our beliefs and expectations.
Governors and staff believe that academic achievement to the highest level to which each individual can aspire is what most parents will value. This will enable the majority of children to aspire to university entrance standards, including those of the most prestigious universities. Staff will seek to challenge all students regardless of their ability, and provide them with opportunities to fulfil their potential and achieve their personal best.
In consequence, the school emphasises the prime importance of teaching and learning. Our staff place great value on academic work and are continually seeking to improve classroom practice.
We are also clear that this central purpose is most likely to be achieved within a framework of traditional values such as discipline, respect and acceptance of school procedures. In a large school it is necessary for all students, parents and staff to share an understanding that all students will:
- Work hard to achieve their full academic potential
- Respond to the many opportunities present both in and beyond the classroom
- Respect fellow students and staff
- Attend regularly, except when ill
- Complete homework and coursework by set deadlines
- Comply with instructions from staff
- When at fault, accept correction without argument
- Wear uniform as intended
- Seek to achieve their personal best
Parents who share these values will find their children get the most out of Saffron Walden County High School. Those with different priorities may wish to consider alternatives for their children’s secondary education.